The Bachelor of Commerce Honours Degree in Marketing is a four (4) year programme of study designed for candidates who have obtained a pass in any two ‘A’ level subjects such as Accounting, Mathematics, Economics, Management of Business, Geography, Food Science, Computing and related subjects. The programme intends:
- To produce a Marketing practitioner or specialist who can contribute meaningfully to the demands of a dynamic business environment
- To impart students with Marketing Management skills and other specified business management skills that are highly related to management of products, clients services, industry and the general environments.
- To prepare students for Master’s degree studies related to Marketing Programmes.
- To prepare students for admission in professional Marketing bodies and Institutions.
The programme is a direct response to the increasing demand for highly qualified and competent Marketing practitioners world over. The programme also showcases the potential that people living with disabilities have in terms of their participation in the marketing business environment. This is also in response to the need to complement the efforts of other universities in Zimbabwe and elsewhere who are offering similar programmes as a way of improving marketing practices in all sectors of the economy.
MODE OF DELIVERY
The degree will be conducted on a face to face basis through lectures/tutorials or any other appropriate methods.
Bachelor of Commerce Honours Degree in Marketing is a four year programme leading to professional careers such as Marketing Directors, managers’ specialists in Marketing, Sales Managers, Public Relations Managers, and Marketing Practitioners and many other related areas. The degree course content will develop student develop skills necessary to succeed in a dynamic and challenging business environment.
Four (4) years conventional full time programme
Four (4) years parallel programme
Three (3) years block release in-service programme
To qualify for entry into the programme a candidate must have passed five ordinary level subjects including English and Mathematics as is prescribed in the general regulations. In addition a candidate must have obtained a pass in any two ‘A’ level subjects such as Accounting, Mathematics, Economics, Management of Business, Geography, and Computer Science and other related subjects
Have obtained a National Diploma (complete qualification) in Marketing or any other equivalent tertiary qualifications with marketing orientation.
NB: Notwithstanding the provisions of the General Regulations for undergraduate degrees governing entry to undergraduate programmes, a student who has passed mathematics at another University or done a professional course with substantial statistical or quantitative components may be considered as satisfying the “O” Level mathematics requirements for entry into this programme.
- Candidates who do not have the minimum academic qualifications stated above but have a minimum of five years of marketing experience will be considered on case by case basis. In all cases such candidates will either be interviewed, or sit for special entrance test or do a bridging course, all these offered by the university. This is done to assess their command of English language, numeracy skills and reasonability and to be assured of their suitability for admission to the programme.
- Candidates who have successfully completed the Higher National Diploma in marketing Management or completed IMM and have obtained equivalent qualifications may apply for direct entry into Part II of the degree programme.
- Candidates admitted under 6.1 above will normally be exempted from Part I on course –by-course basis.
The curriculum for Bachelor of Commerce Honours Degree in Marketing comprises of at least Forty(40) courses, including a work-related learning report, continuous assessment at work by Academic Supervisor and employer and a dissertation equivalent to twenty-two (22) credit points. Each course is worth eleven (11) credits.
The student is expected to accumulate a minimum of five hundred and four (504) credit points to be considered to have met the requirements of the Bachelor of Commerce Honours degree Marketing programme.
Part 1 = 132 credits
Part 2 = 132 credits
Part 3 = 132 credits
Part 4 = 132 credits
Total = 528 credits
HMAK 101 Principles of Marketing
The cause is intended to impart the basic skill on marketing concepts. It lays the foundation for marketing practitioners as it provides emphasis on the general marketing mix (product, price, promotion and place).
HRCU 101 Christian Ethics and Disability Awareness
The course imparts the basis Christian and ethical values as per belief and teachings of the Holy bible as articulated by the Reformed Church University. A culture of spiritual being is instilled and Christian values in marketing are central to this course. Students should also be equipped with disability awareness skills.
HMAK 102Principles of Economics
The course seeks to introduce students to basic economic principles. These principles are critical for effective management monitoring and evaluation of performance of business from an economic perspective marketer should be wary of the behaviour of the economy as this will assist them to strategize on economic fundamentals that have a direct bearing of marketing.
HMAK 103 Business Communication
The course is intended to introduce the student to the basic communication skills with emphasis on inductions and orientation of students towards effective laws of communication in business environments. An understanding of various channels of Communication, barriers to communication and how these can be overcome, documents found in communication and the smoothening approaches, use of English in a business setting is vital for successful communication processes.