DR E. RUTORO
RCU Research and Innovation
A warm welcome to the Research and Innovation division of the Reformed Church University. The research and innovation division of the Reformed Church University is divided into two major sections 1) the Research Based Curriculum Development Unit which deals with curriculum development issues and research output from the RCU, 2) the Research Methods and Statistics area which has to do with offering instruction in Research Methods and Statistics across all faculties of the university.
The Research Based Curriculum Development Unit (RBCDU) of the Reformed Church University is a centre of excellence in terms of research based curriculum design, implementation and innovations hinged on the ethics of inclusion. It fosters excellence in teaching and learning. Current trends in Higher Education call for more rigorous approaches to curriculum development.
The Research Based Curriculum Development Unit (RBCDU) of the Reformed Church University is a centre of excellence in terms of research based curriculum design, implementation and innovations hinged on the ethics of inclusion. It fosters excellence in teaching and learning. The Ministry of Higher and Tertiary Education, Science and Technology Development’s vision of transforming higher and tertiary education institutions into innovation hubs through its Education 5.0 philosophy calls for a more rigorous approach to curriculum development. Thus the Reformed Church University has instituted the Research Based Curriculum Development Unit to ensure that the teaching and learning processes at the institution are transformed in line with this philosophy. The unit is guided by the principle that research results should be the guiding principles of a well informed curriculum development process. The unit is meant to promote high standards in teaching and learning by ensuring that the curriculum development process, instructional methodologies and resources together with assessment procedures are evidence based and embedded in the latest thinking and ideas about higher education.
To provide constructive guidance to faculties in the continuous process of research based curriculum development for innovation leading to industrialisation.
To be a unit which promotes the continuous development of a results oriented, innovation driven and research based curriculum, responsive to current trends in education, anchored on inclusivity and the Christian ethos for graduate employability and the industrialisation of Zimbabwe.
- Quality assurance in curriculum development processes
- Oversee the development of resource materials that will support lecturers in implementing all aspects of the desired curriculum
- Oversee the development and maintenance of a curriculum based on the same constructs across all faculties
- Develop and update university handbook on research based curriculum development
- Work with the ICT team to ensure integration of technology into the curriculum
- Work with the library team to ensure easy access for lecturers and students to curriculum relevant offline and online resources
- Oversee the alignment of the curriculum to strategic national goals
- oversee the infusion of innovation within all facets of the curriculum
- Ensure that all parts of the curriculum are informed by in depth research – thus they are evidence based; and
- Develop a strategic planning document for the unit.